Plastic@Bay’s mission is to limit the impact of plastic pollution on communities and their surrounding environment in NW Scotland. Our objectives are to remove plastic pollution from our beaches, research innovative ways to recycle and reuse marine plastic, inform the public about plastic pollution and support businesses looking for alternatives. This mission relies on innovative research to understand how plastics move through our local environment.
Plastic@Bay is looking for a passionate and rigorous individual to join us tackle plastic pollution in the Durness area and beyond by supporting our marine plastic recycling lab.
The ideal candidate will require:
- drivers license
- experience in surveying and data communication
- interest in environmental and societal issues,
- being fit to work outdoors all year round
- good communication skills
- being comfortable using computers
- a willingness to learn new technical skills.
To do what?
- surveying and collecting plastic pollution in the Durness area,
- processing data on local plastic pollution,
- communicating with the community and organizing regular events,
- helping setup and run our plastic recycling facility.
Training and equipment will be provided.
Initially the position is part-time, and will become full-time when the recycling centre is up and running. This is a living wage position initially funded by SSE. We are giving priority to local young people interested into a all year round position. Working hours are flexible.
We offer an unique opportunity to be involved in a new kind of startup business working with a circular economy model, where we will be looking for new ways to recycle and upcycle plastic pollution from our local beaches into items for resale, and all profits go back into beach cleaning programmes and the community.
Contact Joan D’Arcy Phone: 07491467550,
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org to apply, or if you have any questions regarding the position.
Closing date for applications 21st February 2019.